[2-3H]Mannose Incorporation in Cultured Plant Cells: Investigation of L-Galactose Residues of the Primary Cell Wall

Elias A.H. Baydoun*, Stephen C. Fry

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

D-[2-3H]Mannose was tested as a precursor for the labelling of L-galactose residues in cell wall polysaccharides where D-galactose residues predominate. Cultured cells of spinach, rose and maize rapidly took up [2-3H]mannose (e.g. 50 % in 4–8 min). About 90 % of the 3H supplied was converted to 3H2O, the remaining 10 % being incorporated into polymers. Of the 3H incorporated into spinach polymers, 43 % was recovered in D-mannose, 37 % in L-fucose and 5 % in L-galactose residues. D-Galactose residues were not labelled. The L-[3H]galactose residues appeared to be in the pyranose form, and were released from the polymer in the form of short oligosaccharides upon treatment with «Driselase». L-[3H]Galactose residues were found in the phenol/acetic acid/H20 soluble, cold water soluble, pectic and hemicellulosic fractions of the total cell polymers, and were thus not confined to any one particular polymer. The D-galactose:L-galactose ratio in spinach polymers was ca. 70:1.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)484-490
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Plant Physiology
Volume132
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 1988

Keywords

  • BAW
  • BEW
  • butan-1-ol/acetic acid/water (12:3:5, v/v/v)
  • butan-1-ol/ethanol/ water (20: 5: 11, v/v/v)
  • cell walls
  • EAW
  • EPW
  • ethyl acetate/acetic acid/water (10: 5 : b, v/v/v)
  • ethyl acetate/pyridine/water (8:2: 1, v/v/v)
  • gel-permeation chromatography
  • glycoprotein
  • GPC
  • L-fucose
  • L-galactose
  • oligosaccharide
  • paper chromatography
  • PC
  • phenol/acetic acid/water (2:1:1, w/v/v)
  • polysaccharide
  • Rosa sp. («Paul's Scarlet»)
  • Spinacia oleracea
  • TFA
  • trifluoroacetic acid
  • water-saturated phenol
  • Zea mays
  • [2-H]mannose
  • φAW
  • φW

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of '[2-<sup>3</sup>H]Mannose Incorporation in Cultured Plant Cells: Investigation of L-Galactose Residues of the Primary Cell Wall'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this