Adverse peri-operative outcomes following elective total hip replacement in diabetes mellitus A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS OF COHORT STUDIES

Jerry Tsang, P. Gaston

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Total hip replacement (THR) has been shown to be a cost-effective procedure. However, it is not risk-free. Certain conditions, such as diabetes mellitus, are thought to increase the risk of complications. In this study we have evaluated the prevalence of diabetes mellitus in patients undergoing THR and the associated risk of adverse operative outcomes. A meta-analysis and systematic review were conducted according to the guidelines of the meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology. Inclusion criteria were observational studies reporting the prevalence of diabetes in the study population, accompanied by reports of at least one of the following outcomes: venous thromboembolic events; acute coronary events; infections of the urinary tract, lower respiratory tract or surgical site; or requirement for revision arthroplasty. Altman and Bland's methods were used to calculate differences in relative risks. The prevalence of diabetes mellitus was found to be 5.0% among patients undergoing THR, and was associated with an increased risk of established surgical site infection (odds ratio (OR) 2.04 (95% confidence interval (CI) 1.52 to 2.76)), urinary infection (OR 1.43 (95% CI 1.33 to 1.55)) and lower respiratory tract infections (OR 1.95 (95% CI 1.61 to 2.26)). Diabetes mellitus is a relatively common comorbidity encountered in THR. Diabetic patients have a higher rate of developing both surgical site and non-surgical site infections following THR.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1474-1479
Number of pages6
JournalBone and Joint Journal
Volume95B
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 2013

Keywords

  • TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTY
  • PERIPROSTHETIC JOINT INFECTION
  • RISK-FACTORS
  • COMPLICATION RATES
  • METABOLIC SYNDROME
  • GLYCEMIC CONTROL
  • COMORBIDITIES
  • PERSPECTIVE
  • POPULATION
  • IMPACT

Cite this