This article discusses the design competition of 1951-53 for the Sidgwick Site in Cambridge, on which the university proposed to construct new Arts Faculty buildings. It examines the competing designs by Robert Atkinson and Hugh Casson & Neville Conder, and then sets out the subsequent history of the site. The concluding section contrasts the way in which James Stirling and James Gowan were appointed and the design of their History Faculty. Based on close analysis of the university archives, this article offers the first detailed examination of this key project, which pre-dates the supposed 'modernisation' of British university architecture that historians have hitherto suggested began in the late 1950s with such projects as Churchill College, Cambridge, or ACP's work at St John's, Oxford.
|Title of host publication
|Journal 11: Oxford and Cambridge
|Number of pages
|Published - 2013
|Twentieth Century Architecture: the C20 Journal