Carbon emissions from smouldering peat in shallow and strong fronts

Guillermo Rein, Simon Cohen, Albert Simeoni

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

A series of experiments of shallow and strong Smouldering fronts in boreal peat have been conducted under laboratory conditions to study the CO and CO2 emissions. Peat samples of 100 mill by 100 mill in cross section and 50 mill in depth were smouldered in the cone calorimeter apparatus. Two laboratory variables. moisture content and the external heat flux, are varied over a wide range of values to establish different burning rates and front thicknesses. This provides a novel framework to Study smouldering dynamics by varying the controlling mechanisms and providing burning conditions that otherwise cannot be obtained. Measurements of the burning rate and gas flow, yields and ratio for CO and CO2 are reported 2 at Steady state burning conditions. Average mass flow rates per area of smouldering front are reported here For the first time to be 0.27 g/s/m(2) for CO and 0.65 g/s/m(2) for CO,. This CO2 mass flux is about 3000 times larger that the natural decomposition flux from peatlands. The CO yield in dry base is 17%, g/g and the CO2 yield 42% g/g. The CO and CO2 total yield is of 59%, g/g, and the CO to CO2 ratio was oil average 0.43. The results indicate that peat with high Moisture Content smoulders producing larger CO2 yield but the same CO yield compared to dryer peat. This suggests that smouldering of biomass at lower moisture contents develops wider pyrolysis fronts that release a larger fraction of other carbon-containing gas species.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2489-2496
Number of pages8
JournalProceedings of the Combustion Institute
Volume32
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009

Keywords

  • Biomass burning
  • Carbon monoxide
  • Carbon dioxides
  • Emission factor
  • Smoldering
  • COMBUSTION
  • FIRES
  • INDONESIA
  • BIOMASS

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Carbon emissions from smouldering peat in shallow and strong fronts'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this