A permanent sculpture installed in the new build Nicolson Institute school in Stornoway, Lewis. Subject to an international compeditive selection process, the commission was administrated by Western Isles Council and involved a collaboration with the project architects, 3D Reid. Total budget was £20,000. The pricipal investigation was to develop a visual artwork that manifested a way of seeing the landscape as embodied in Hugh MacDiarmid's poem, 'Scotland Small?' (1943). The work is a major architectural installation comprising of forty suspended triangular elements ( 5,500 X 200 X 200mm, each ) hand painted using colours selected from the digital archive of Scottish Natural Heritage. The development of the work involved a series of observational workshops with 120 pupils at the school.
|Publication status||Published - 2012|