The earthworm Expressed Sequence Tag project

S.R. Stürzenbaum, J. Parkinson, M. Blaxter, A.J. Morgan, P. Kille, O. Georgiev

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

This paper aims to provide a brief description of the earthworm Expressed Sequence Tag (EST) project. ESTs are short single read sequences randomly derived from cDNA libraries and provide the means to acquire large scale sequence information of coding DNA. The earthworm EST project is growing rapidly and the analysis of the first 577 sequences corresponded to ∼ 400 different genes, with 79 represented by two or more ESTs. Significant sequence similarity to known proteins was observed in 76% of cases and the remaining 24% were classified as novel genes. Using a combination of bioinformatic tools the sequence information was used to build a relational database, LumbriBASE, which can be queried via an internet interface by sequence similarity and key word searches (see http://www.earthworms.org).
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)447-451
Number of pages5
JournalPedobiologia
Volume47
Issue number5-6
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2003

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The earthworm Expressed Sequence Tag project'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this