The predictability of subnormal penetrating capacity of sperm in cases of unexplained infertility

R. J. Aitken*, P. Warner, MRC Centre Biology, A. A. Templeton, O. Djahanbakhch, D. Mortimer, M. M. Lees

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Multivariate discriminant analysis has been used to determine the predictability of sub‐normal penetrating capacity in cases of unexplained infertility. The product of this analysis was the identification of 7 discriminating variables all of which described various aspects of the post‐capacitation movement characteristics exhibited by the spermatozoa, omitting all reference to the conventional parameters of semen quality. On the basis of these discriminating variables, 90.9% of samples exhibiting penetration rates within the normal range were correctly predicted to be functionally competent. The same variables correctly identified only 60% of samples with impaired penetrating capacity, indicating that in the remaining 40%, defects are present in the spermatozoa which are not reflected in their motility patterns.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)212-220
Number of pages9
JournalInternational Journal of Andrology
Volume6
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 1983

Keywords

  • sperm motility
  • unexplained infertility
  • zona free hamster egg penetration test

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The predictability of subnormal penetrating capacity of sperm in cases of unexplained infertility'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this